Registration opens on Wednesday, June 19 at 7:00 am. Click JOIN button on this page to register.
- Children younger than 9 who are interested in biathlon are encouraged to register in the Jackrabbits program to develop basic ski skills.
- Note: If your child will attend both Fall and Winter sessions, please sign up for both sessions to avoid disappointment if a Winter session sells out.
9-12 (Birth year 2007-2010)
- Fall Session: September 9, 2019 – October 17, 2019
- Winter Session: December 3, 2019 – December 19, 2019 & January 6, 2020 – March 13, 2020 (The first two weeks in December are tentatively planned to be indoors using EcoAims rifles, location TBD.)
- Tuesday and Thursday 5:30 – 7:00 pm
- Tuesday and Thursday 7:00 – 8:30 pm
- ADD ON: Mondays 6:30 – 8:00 pm (This add-on session is only open to 9 to 12 year olds also registered in another Foothills Nordic cross country ski program, such as, Jackrabbits, JR Learn to Ski, or Marmots.)
- Canmore Park
- Confederation Park Golf Course and/or
- Canada Olympic Park Biathlon Range
*Practice times and locations subject to change dependant on weather and facility availability.
- Fall session fee – $290
- Winter session fee – $625
- ADD-ON, Mondays – $310
- Foothills Nordic membership (during registration)
- Confederation Trail User Fees (during registration)
- COP pass (TBD)
- Biathlon Alberta Membership
The Biathlon Bears program teaches the basic skills of biathlon in a safe and fun environment. The overall aim is to build confidence with skiing and shooting skills and provide a fun introduction to fitness-for-life. No skiing experience is necessary to join Biathlon Bears. This program is designed to teach first time skiers, as well as challenge returning skiers, to develop skate skiing, classic skiing and shooting skills.
In the 6 week fall session, biathletes will learn target shooting skills and build general and ski-specific fitness with a combination of fun drills and games.
The 12 week winter session starts in December – we aim for 2 weeks before Christmas. Although if conditions do not permit, we will delay the start of the program as required. The program concludes in mid-March. The winter session continues to build on shooting skills and introduces skate and classic skiing. Drills and games develop balance, technique, and cardiovascular fitness.
During the winter, Foothills will provide coaching support and bring rifles for athletes to use at local races. Those who are very keen may wish to participate in a provincial cup race (race costs are not included in program fees). Provincial cup races are part of the provincial racing circuit and bring athletes in from all over the province. These races typically include coaching and rifle support for Bears athletes although this is evaluated on a race by race basis.
If you have any questions please contact [email protected].