Registration opens on Wednesday, June 18 at 7:00 am. Click JOIN button on this page to register.
- Children younger than 9 who are interested in biathlon are encouraged to register in the Jackrabbits program to develop basic ski skills.
- Note: If your child will attend both Fall and Winter sessions, please sign up for both sessions in June to avoid disappointment if a Winter session sells out.
9-12 (Birth year 2008-2011)
- Fall Session: TBD
- Winter Session: TBD (The first two weeks in December are tentatively planned to be indoors using EcoAims rifles, location TBD.)
- Tuesday and Thursday 5:30 – 7:00 pm
- Tuesday and Thursday 7:00 – 8:30 pm
- Optional Winter Session ADD ON: Mondays 6:30 – 8:00 pm (This add-on session is only open to 9 to 12 year olds also registered in another Foothills Nordic cross country ski program, i.e., Jackrabbits Level 3, 4, and Plus, JR Learn to Ski, or Marmots.)
- Canmore Park
- Confederation Park Golf Course and/or
- Canada Olympic Park Biathlon Range
*Practice times and locations subject to change dependent on weather and facility availability.
- Fall Session fee – $290
- Winter Session fee – $600
- Optional Winter Session ADD-ON, Mondays – $310
- Foothills Nordic membership (during registration)
- Confederation Trail User Fees (during registration)
- COP pass (TBD)
- Biathlon Alberta Membership
The Biathlon Bears program teaches the basic skills of biathlon in a safe and fun environment. The overall aim is to build confidence with skiing and shooting skills and provide a fun introduction to fitness-for-life. No skiing experience is necessary to join Biathlon Bears. This program is designed to teach first time skiers, as well as challenge returning skiers, to develop skate skiing, classic skiing and shooting skills.
In the 6 week fall session, biathletes will learn target shooting skills and build general and ski-specific fitness with a combination of fun drills and games.
The 12 week winter session starts in December. We aim for 2 weeks before Christmas, although if conditions do not permit, we will delay the start of the program as required. The program concludes in mid-March. The winter session continues to build on shooting skills and introduces skate and classic skiing. Drills and games develop balance, technique, and cardiovascular fitness.
During the winter, Foothills will provide coaching support and bring rifles for athletes to use at local races. Those who are very keen may wish to participate in a provincial cup race (race costs are not included in program fees). Provincial cup races are part of the provincial racing circuit and bring athletes in from all over the province. These races typically include coaching and rifle support for Bears athletes although this is evaluated on a race by race basis.
VOLUNTEER REQUIREMENT/OTHER VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Foothills Nordic is able to run high quality programs for a reasonable cost due to the volunteer support from our families. Based on the Club’s volunteer bond, ALL Biathlon Bears parents will be required to volunteer six hours throughout the season. Numerous volunteer opportunities to help with Biathlon Bears will be available and sign-up lists with details on volunteer jobs will be shared with parents.
For information on the volunteer bond and other volunteer opportunities available throughout the year, see Club Volunteer Opportunities.
If you have any questions, please contact [email protected].