Registration for the remaining portion of the year will open July 22nd at 8am
At this time we are able to offer in person programming while following the guidelines of the Alberta Health Services, Nordiq Alberta, Nordiq Canada, Biathlon Alberta and Biathlon Canada. If these guidelines change to become more restrictive, we may need to switch to virtual training. If this occurs we will work to resume in person training as quickly as possible.
Athletes must have previous club-level racing experience in either biathlon or nordic skiing. Registrants may only join with approval from the Head Biathlon Coach.
16+ (Birth year 2004 or older)
May through March
Weekly schedule for LC
Trimester 1 (May 2-June 30)
Monday 4:30-6:00pm or 6:30-8:00pm (Strength – Bob Niven, COP) TBD Tuesday 6:30-8:00pm (Shooting/Combo – Canmore) TBD Wednesday 4:30-6:00pm (Strength – Bob Niven, COP) TBD Thursday 6:30-8:00pm (Shooting/Combo – Canmore) TBD Friday 4:30-6:00 and/or 6:30-8:00pm (Shooting/Combo – Canmore) TBD Saturday 10:00am-2:00pm (Various locations) TBD
Trimester 2 (July 1-August 31) – Tentative
- Monday 4:30-6:00pm or 6:30-8:00pm (Strength – Bob Niven, COP) TBD
- Tuesday 6:30-8:00pm (Shooting/Combo – Canmore) TBD
- Wednesday 4:30-6:00pm (Strength – Bob Niven, COP) TBD
- Thursday 6:30-8:00pm (Shooting/Combo – Canmore) TBD
- Friday 4:30-6:00 and/or 6:30-8:00pm (Shooting/Combo – Canmore) TBD
- Saturday 10:00am-2:00pm (Various locations) TBD
Trimester 3 (September 1-March 31) – Tentative
- Monday 6:30-8:00pm (Strength – Bob Niven, COP)
- Wednesday 6:30-8:00pm (Dryland – Calgary) ending Dec 1st
- Thursday 6:30-8:00pm (Shooting/Combo – Canmore)
- Friday 4:30-6:00 and/or 6:30-8:00pm (Shooting/Combo – Canmore)
- Saturday 10:00am-2:00pm (Various locations)
*Practices may be cancelled or changed due to extenuating circumstances, such as poor weather or hazardous air quality.
Optional camps and rest weeks for LC
- Haig, Cancelled
- Summer Volume Camp #1 Cancelled
- Haig/Bow Valley Cancelled
- Hinton Camp Cancelled
- August 24-27 Canmore Area/Mt Shark (shooting, rollerskiing, running/hiking)
- Lake Louise Camp, November 13 – 15, 2020
Optional training camp costs are not included in program fees and are on a cost-recovery basis. Camp dates are tentative.
- LC Biathlon Program fee – $2,400
- FNSC Membership (during registration)
- Confederation Trail User Fees (during registration)
- Canmore Nordic Centre Range Pass (yearly or daily)
- Canmore Nordic Centre Trail Pass (yearly or daily)
- Biathlon Alberta Membership (BEFORE registration)
- Bob Niven Training Centre (at Canada Olympic Park) punch card
Method of Communication
TeamSnap + Email + Online personalized training plans through trainingpeaks.com
LC Biathlon Program Details
This program is designed for athletes racing in Senior Boys/Girls and all IBU categories (ages 16 and up). The aim of the program is to allow each individual athlete to reach his or her maximum potential with the expectation that many of the athletes will qualify for provincial and national teams. Individuals should be prepared to train 450+ hours including independent workouts. Dryland training will consist of roller skiing, ski striding, running, cycling and strength training. Shooting training will focus on: precision shooting skills, advanced wind orientation, high intensity shooting, race tactics and optimizing speed/accuracy ratios. Race support provided at Calforex Cups, local North American Cups and Cross Country ski races.
Additional Training Resources Provided
- Bonus training days/sessions depending on training cycle and season
- Customized daily training plan
- Training sessions with sport specialists and mentors
LC Biathlon is coached by National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) Competition Introduction or Competition Development coaches following the Biathlon Canada Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD). Information for parents is available here. The lead coach of this program is Tyson Smith (NCCP# 5640983).
- Ammunition – ~8000 rounds
- 1 pair each of skate and classic skis, poles and boots
- Minimum 1 pair of dedicated skate race skis
- Skate and Classic roller skis
- Running shoes, ski striding poles (should be elbow height)
- Grip and Glide Wax
- Heart rate monitor watch
VOLUNTEER REQUIREMENT/OTHER VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Foothills Nordic is able to run high quality programs for a reasonable cost due to the volunteer support from our families. Based on the Club’s volunteer bond, ALL Learn to Compete – Biathlon parents will be required to volunteer 30 hours throughout the season. Numerous volunteer opportunities to help with LC Biathlon will be available and sign-up lists with details on volunteer jobs will be shared with parents.
For information on the volunteer bond and other volunteer opportunities available throughout the year, see Club Volunteer Opportunities.
If you have questions, please contact [email protected]