Registration opens April 23rd, 2018
This program is for athletes graduating from FNSC’s biathlon-specific Bears programs or nordic skiing Jackrabbit programs. Experienced biathletes or nordic skiers from outside of the FNSC program stream may also qualify. All registrants are expected to have Nordic or Biathlon racing experience. Exceptions may be made at coaches’ discretion.
12 to 14 (Birth year 2004-2006). Exceptions may be made based on coach’s discretion.
May 2018 – March 31, 2019
- Monday 6:30-8:00pm (Nordic specific training, Calgary locations)
- Tuesday 6:30-8:00pm (Shooting specific training, Canmore locations)
- Thursday 6:30-8:00pm (Nordic specific training, Calgary locations)
- Friday 6:30-8:00pm (Shooting specific training, Canmore locations)
- Saturday 10:00am-1:00pm (Nordic or Shooting training, various locations)
*Practice attendance is not mandatory, athletes are encouraged to attend 2-3 practices per week.
Optional Training Camps and Rest Weeks
- T1 Summer Camp, August 24-26
- Lake Louise Early Snow Camp, November 16-18, 2018
Optional training camp costs are not included in program fees and are on a cost-recovery basis.
- Program fee – $1490
- FNSC Membership (during registration)
- Confederation Trail User Fees (during registration)
- Canmore Nordic Centre Range Pass (yearly or daily)
- Canmore Nordic Centre Trail Pass (yearly or daily)
- Biathlon Alberta Membership (BEFORE registration)
Method of Communication
TeamSnap plus Email
Train to Train 1 – Biathlon (T1-B) is for athletes graduating from biathlon-specific Bears programs or nordic skiing Jackrabbits programs. Athletes are encouraged to race at both Calforex Cup and Cross Country races.
Athletes will learn or refine shooting skills with .22 rifles. Shooting training will focus on effective prone positioning, precision shooting skills, and combination shooting skills. Physical training will include the basics of dryland training including: roller skiing, running, ski striding, and body-weight strength training. On snow, athletes will develop and refine classic and skate skiing techniques. The basics of mental race preparation and shooting discipline will be taught and teamwork and personal interaction skills will be promoted.
Where maturity and ability levels warrant, T1s in their second year of the program may begin standing shooting basics and receive training plans.
Race support will be provided at Calforex Cups (Biathlon races) and Alberta cross-country ski races.
T1 Biathlon is coached by National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) Competition Introduction or Competition Development coaches following the Biathlon Canada Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD). Information for parents is available here. The lead coach of this program is Matthew Neumann (NCCP#6155119 ).
- Rifle – Available to rent for $400 per year (during registration)
- Ammunition – ~5000 rounds/$600 per year (athletes/parents are responsible for purchasing their own ammunitions – coach will provide sourcing information)
- 1 pair each of skate and classic skis, poles and boots
- Skate roller skis – available to rent during registration
- Running shoes, ski striding poles (should be elbow height)
- Grip and glide wax
- Head lamp
If you have questions, please email [email protected]