Registration opens on April 26, 2019 at 7:00 am.
This program is for athletes graduating from FNSC’s T1 biathlon program. Experienced biathletes or nordic skiers from outside of the FNSC program stream may also qualify at coaches’ discretion.
14+ (Birth year 2005 and older).
May through March
- Monday 4:30-6:00pm or 6:30-8:00pm (Strength, Calgary – Bob Niven, COP)
- Wednesday 6:30-8:00pm (Dryland, Calgary) ending Dec 1st
- Thursday 6:30-8:00pm (Shooting/Combo, Canmore)
- Friday 4:30-6:00 and/or 6:30-8:00pm (Shooting/Combo, Canmore)
- Saturday 10:00am-2:00pm (Various locations)
Optional training camps and rest weeks
- Bow Valley Camp, TBA
- Summer Volume Camp #1, TBA
- Summer Volume Camp #2, TBA
- Lake Louise Camp, November 15-17, 2019
Optional training camp costs are not included in program fees and are on a cost-recovery basis. Camp dates are tentative and may deviate by a few days.
- T2 Biathlon Program fee – $2,445
- FNSC Membership (during registration)
- Confederation Trail User Fees (during registration)
- Canmore Nordic Centre Range Pass (yearly or daily)
- Canmore Nordic Centre Trail Pass (yearly or daily)
- Biathlon Alberta Membership (BEFORE registration)
- Bob Niven Training Centre (at Canada Olympic Park) punch card
Method of Communication
TeamSnap + Email + Online personalized training plans through trainingpeaks.com
T2 Biathlon is for athletes graduating from T1 who will compete in Senior Boys and Senior Girls categories. Athletes will practice up to 400 hours of ski specific training consisting of group practices as well as additional independent workouts. Dryland training will include: roller skiing, ski striding, running, cycling and weekly strength training. Shooting training will focus on individual needs: refining prone positioning and accuracy, learning/improving standing shooting, advanced precision skills, high intensity combination shooting skills, and race specific shooting tactics. Races support will be provided at Calforex Cups, local North American Cups and Cross Country ski races.
Additional Training Resources Provided
- Bonus training days/sessions depending on training cycle and season
- Customized daily training plan
- Training sessions with sport specialists and mentors
T2 Biathlon is coached by National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) Competition Introduction or Competition Development coaches following the Biathlon Canada Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD). Information for parents is available here. The lead coach of this program is Tyson Smith (NCCP# 5640983).
- Ammunition – ~7000 rounds
- 1 pair each of training skate and classic skis, poles and boots
- 1 pair of dedicated skate race skis
- Skate and Classic roller skis
- Running shoes, ski striding poles (should be elbow height)
- Road bike + helmet
- Grip and glide wax
- Heart rate monitor watch
If you have questions, please email [email protected]