Registration for 2023-2024 Season will open April 28th
This program is for athletes graduating from FNSC’s T1 biathlon program. Experienced biathletes or nordic skiers from outside of the FNSC program stream may also qualify at coaches’ discretion.
Parents of participants must have a valid Possession and Acquisition Firearms License (PAL). Participants under the age of 18 must have a valid Minors’ Firearms License.
May through Mid/Late March
Weekly Schedule for T2
- Monday TBD (Strength, Calgary Location/Online in winter months)
- Wednesday 6:30-8:00pm (Dryland or Skiing – Calgary Location)
- Thursday 6:30-8:00pm (Shooting/Combo, Canmore)
- Friday 4:45-6:15pm and/or 6:30-8:00pm (Shooting/Combo, Canmore)
- Saturday 10:00am-1:00pm (Dryland or Skiing, Canmore Area Locations)
*Practices may be canceled or changed due to extenuating circumstances, such as poor weather or hazardous air quality.
Optional Training Camps
- Bow Valley Camp, July 6 – 9
- Haig Glacier Camp, July 14 – 18
- Week Off, July 22 – July 30
- Haig Glacier Camp, August 8 – 15
- Bow Valley Camp, August 25 – 27
- Castle/Syncline Camp, August 27 – 30
- Lake Louise Camp, November 18-19, 2023
- Winter Holiday Break TBD
Optional training camp costs are not included in program fees and are on a cost-recovery basis. Camp dates are tentative and may deviate by a few days.
- T2 Biathlon Program fee – $2,620
- FNSC Membership (during registration)
- Confederation Trail User Fees (during registration)
- Canmore Nordic Centre Range Pass (yearly or daily)
- Canmore Nordic Centre Trail Pass (yearly or daily)
- Biathlon Alberta Membership (BEFORE registration)
- Bob Niven Training Centre (at Canada Olympic Park) punch card
Method of Communication
TeamSnap + Email + Online personalized training plans through trainingpeaks.com
T2 Biathlon is for athletes graduating from T1 who will compete in Senior Boys and Senior Girls categories. Athletes will practice up to 400 hours of ski specific training consisting of group practices as well as additional independent workouts. Dryland training will include: roller skiing, ski striding, running, cycling and weekly strength training. Shooting training will focus on individual needs: refining prone positioning and accuracy, learning/improving standing shooting, advanced precision skills, high intensity combination shooting skills, and race specific shooting tactics. Races support will be provided at Calforex Cups, local North American Cups and Cross Country ski races.
For more information on FNSC Biathlon Programming, please refer to the Biathlon Handbook
Additional Training Resources Provided
- Bonus training days/sessions depending on training cycle and season
- Customized daily training plan
- Training sessions with sport specialists and mentors
T2 Biathlon is coached by National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) Competition Introduction or Competition Development coaches following the Biathlon Canada Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD). Information for parents is available here. The lead coach of this program is Tyson Smith (NCCP# 5640983).
- Ammunition – ~7000 rounds
- 1 pair each of training skate and classic skis, poles and boots
- 1 pair of dedicated skate race skis
- Skate and Classic roller skis
- Running shoes, ski striding poles (should be elbow height)
- Grip and glide wax
- Heart rate monitor watch
VOLUNTEER REQUIREMENT/OTHER VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Foothills Nordic is able to run high quality programs for a reasonable cost due to the volunteer support from our families. Based on the Club’s volunteer bond, ALL Train to Train 2 Biathlon parents will be required to volunteer a certain number of hours throughout the season. The number of volunteer hours required for each program is available on the Volunteer page. Numerous volunteer opportunities to help with T2 Biathlon will be available and sign-up lists with details on volunteer jobs will be shared with parents.
For information on the volunteer bond and other volunteer opportunities available throughout the year, see Club Volunteer Opportunities.
If you have questions, please email [email protected]