- Fall Session (Dryland): Registration is now closed.
- Winter Session (On-Snow): Registration is now closed.
NOTE: New this year, skiers can register independently for the Dryland or On-Snow programs.
10 – 13 years (Year of birth: 2005 – 2008)
Pre-requisite: Participated in Jackrabbits or Marmots last season
- Fall Session (Dryland): October through November
- Winter Session (On-Snow): December through February/early March
- Fall Session (Dryland):
- Tuesdays – 6:30 – 8:00 pm (FULL)
- Winter Session (On-Snow):
- Tuesdays – 6:30 – 8:00 pm (FULL)
OTHER PROGRAM ACTIVITIES
- Fall Session (Dryland): Weekend activities TBD (October and November day event)
- Winter Session (On-Snow): Once-per-month weekend activities from December to March – dates to be finalized at start of program. February activity is the annual Hostel weekend in Field, BC (cost is additional to program fees and TBD by December).
- Fall Session (Dryland): Edworthy Park, Confederation Park at Rosemont Community Centre, possible indoor activities
- Winter Session (On-Snow): Confederation Park Golf Course. Other outdoor locations for week-end activities.
- Fall Session (Dryland) fee – $70
- Winter Session (On-Snow) fee – $200
- Foothills Nordic membership (during registration)
- Confederation Trail User Fees (during registration)
The Marmots program is intended for youth who are interested in skiing for FUN, fitness and friendship. The program includes group ski sessions to develop and improve on skills attained in the Jackrabbit program. Practices are relaxed and fun but are great workouts and kids should expect to sweat! The goal of this program is to provide opportunities for youth to stay involved in cross-country skiing, and be ACTIVE-FOR-LIFE.
Fall Dryland practices will include running, biking, core/strength and movement skill activities (agility, balance, coordination), as well as games and activities that promote fitness and FUN. In November, there may be options to do additional activities (indoor) when weather makes outdoor training challenging. (Some additional costs may apply – e.g. climbing gym.)
Winter On-Snow practices will focus on fitness and skill development for both skate and classic technique. Our coaches are all NCCP or CANSI-certified and most are trained in or experienced in Outdoor Leadership. Additional group activities will include Jackrabbit weekend activities (family or group skis), and may include a basic ski tour in non-avalanche terrain.
Equipment and Clothing
Participants must have appropriate ski equipment (waxable classic skis / skate skis are also preferred, but not essential) and winter clothing. Please see the equipment and clothing information for details.
VOLUNTEER REQUIREMENT / OTHER VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Foothills Nordic is able to run high quality programs for reasonable cost, due to the volunteer support of our families. ALL Marmot parents will be required to signup to assist with minimum two (2) program activities / three (3) for families with 2 or more children in program (weeknight coach support for Bunnies/Group Monitoring for Jackrabbits, parking or snow grooming support). We also require volunteer support for weekend events – Terrain Nights, Family Ski Days, Cookie Race). A full signup list with details on volunteer jobs, will be available and communicated before the first on-snow sessions.
To volunteer for any of the many other club activities throughout the year, see Club Volunteer Opportunities.
We encourage families of all economic levels to participate in this awesome winter sport. If you have constraints for program or equipment costs, Foothills Nordic encourages families to seek support through KIDSPORT, a local program to help lower-income families with sport and activity program costs.
If you have any questions, please e-mail Foothills Nordic.