Registration will open July 22nd at 8am
- Fall Session (Dryland): Registration opens on Wednesday, July 15 at 8:00 am.
- Winter Session (On-Snow): Registration opens on Wednesday, July 15 at 8:00 am.
14 – 16 years (Year of birth: 2005 – 2007)
Pre-requisite: Participated in Marmots or Teen Ski last season
- Fall Session (Dryland): October through November
- Winter Session (On-Snow): December to March
- Fall Session (Dryland): Wednesdays 6:30 to 8:00 pm
- Winter Session (On-Snow): Wednesdays 6:30 to 8:00 pm
OTHER PROGRAM ACTIVITIES
- Fall Session (Dryland): Weekend activities TBD (October and November day event)
- Winter Session (On-Snow): Once-per-month weekend activities from December to March – dates to be finalized at the start of the program. February activity is the annual Hostel weekend in Field, BC (cost is additional to program fees and TBD by December).
- Fall Session (Dryland): Edworthy Park, Confederation Park at Rosemont Community Centre, possible indoor activities
- Winter Session (On-Snow): Confederation Park Golf Course. Other outdoor locations for week-end activities.
- Fall Session (Dryland) fee – $85
- Winter Session (On-Snow) fee – $220
- Foothills Nordic membership (during registration)
- Confederation Trail User Fees (during registration)
Teen Ski is intended for skiers aged 14+ with prior nordic experience who are interested in skiing for fun, fitness and friendship. This program will be run concurrently with the Marmots program.
The goal of this group will be to provide opportunities for youth to stay involved in cross country skiing, and be ACTIVE-FOR-LIFE. Practices are relaxed and fun but are great workouts and kids should expect to sweat!
Fall Dryland practices will include running, biking, core/strength and movement skill activities (agility, balance and coordination), as well as games and activities that promote fitness and FUN. In November, there may be options to do additional indoor activities when weather makes outdoor training challenging. (Some additional costs may apply – e.g. climbing gym.)
Winter On-Snow practices will focus on fitness and skill development for both skate and classic technique. Our coaches are all NCCP or CANSI certified and most are trained in, or experienced in, Outdoor Leadership. Weekend activities will be organized by coaches with assistance from parents. The weekend ski will usually be in the mountains (e.g. Canmore, Kananaskis, Lake Louise). If there is interest, a backcountry hut trip, snowshoeing or a downhill ski day could be organized. Participants are encouraged to get involved and organize special events and activities.
Parents and siblings are welcome and encouraged to participate in weekend activities but require a Foothills Nordic membership for insurance reasons.
EQUIPMENT AND CLOTHING
Participants must have appropriate ski equipment (waxable classic skis/skate skis are also preferred, but not essential) and winter clothing. Please see the equipment and clothing information for details.
VOLUNTEER REQUIREMENT / OTHER VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Foothills Nordic is able to run high quality programs for a reasonable cost due to the volunteer support of our families. Based on the Club’s volunteer bond, ALL Teen parents will be required to volunteer six hours throughout the season. Numerous volunteer opportunities will be available from coach support for Bunnies, Group Monitoring for Jackrabbits, parking or snow grooming support and support for weekend events (Terrain Nights, Family Ski Days and the Cookie Race). A full sign-up list with details on volunteer jobs, will be available and communicated before the first on-snow sessions.
For information on the volunteer bond and the many other volunteer opportunities available throughout the year, see Club Volunteer Opportunities.
We also welcome keen parents with strong basic ski skills to become coaches. Please note your willingness to coach on your registration.
We encourage families of all economic levels to participate in this awesome winter sport. If you have constraints for program or equipment costs, Foothills Nordic encourages families to seek support through KIDSPORT, a local program to help lower-income families with sport and activity program costs.
If you have any questions, please e-mail Foothills Nordic.