- Fall Session (Dryland): Registration opens June 4.
- Winter Session (On-Snow): Registration opens at 8am on September 17. (FULL for 2018-2019 season)
NOTE: New this year, skiers can register independently for the Dryland or the On-Snow programs.
14 – 16 years (Year of birth: 2002 – 2004)
Pre-requisite: Participated in Marmots or Teen-Ski last season
- Fall Session (Dryland): October through November
- Winter Session (On-Snow): December through February/early March
- Fall Session (Dryland): Tuesday 6:30 – 8:00 pm
- Winter Session (On-Snow): Tuesday 6:30 to 8:00 pm (FULL)
OTHER PROGRAM ACTIVITIES
- Fall Session (Dryland): Weekend activities TBD (October and November day event)
- Winter Session (On-Snow): Once-per-month weekend activities from December to March – dates to be finalized at start of program. February activity is the annual Hostel weekend in Field, BC (cost is additional to program fees and TBD by December).
- Fall Session (Dryland): Edworthy Park, Confederation Park at Rosemont Community Centre, possible indoor activities
- Winter Session (On-Snow): Confederation Park Golf Course. Other outdoor locations for week-end activities.
- Fall Session (Dryland) fee – $70
- Winter Session (On-Snow) fee – $200
- Foothills Nordic membership (during registration)
- Confederation Trail User Fees (during registration)
Intended for skiers aged 14+ with prior nordic experience who are interested in skiing for fun, fitness and friendship. This program will be run concurrently with the Marmots program.
The goal of this group will be to provide opportunities for youth to stay involved in cross-country skiing, and be ACTIVE-FOR-LIFE. Practices are relaxed and fun but are great workouts and kids should expect to sweat!
Fall Dryland practices will include running, biking, core/strength and movement skill activities (agility, balance and coordination), as well as games and activities that promote fitness and FUN. In November, there may be options to do additional activities (indoor) when weather makes outdoor training challenging. (Some additional costs may apply – e.g. climbing gym.)
Winter On-Snow practices will focus on fitness and skill development for both skate and classic technique. Our coaches are all NCCP or CANSI-certified and most are trained in or experienced in Outdoor Leadership. Weekend activities will be organized by coaches with assistance of parents. The weekend ski will usually be in the mountains (Canmore, Kananaskis, Lake Louise). If there is interest, a backcountry hut trip, snowshoeing or a downhill ski day could be organized. Participants are encouraged to get involved and organize special events and activities.
Parents and siblings are welcome and encouraged to participate in weekend activities but require a Foothills membership for insurance reasons.
EQUIPMENT AND CLOTHING
Participants must have appropriate ski equipment (waxable classic skis / skate skis are also preferred, but not essential) and winter clothing. Please see the equipment and clothing information for details.
VOLUNTEER REQUIREMENT / OTHER VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Foothills Nordic is able to run high quality programs for reasonable cost, due to the volunteer support of our families. ALL Teen-Ski parents will be required to signup to assist with minimum two (2) program activities / three (3) for families with 2 or more children in program (weeknight coach support for Bunnies/Group Monitoring for Jackrabbits, parking or snow grooming support). We also require volunteer support for weekend events – Terrain Nights, Family Ski Days, Cookie Race). A full signup list with details on volunteer jobs, will be available and communicated before the first on-snow sessions.
To volunteer for any of the many other club activities throughout the year, see Club Volunteer Opportunities.
If you have any questions, please e-mail Foothills Nordic.