Registration will open June 23rd for members/June 28th for the public
11 to 12 years (with prerequisite Biathlon Bears or cross-country skiing competency)
September 2023 – March 2024
Christmas break: TBD
- Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday: 6:30 – 8:00 pm
- Optional Track Attack Add-On – Saturday: 10 am-12 pm (out of town)
Wednesdays are shooting practices. Tuesday and Thursday practices are combined with Foothills’ cross country Track Attack program. See Track Attack page for training information. The Saturday add-on is optional and only open to Racing Bears program registrants.
- Practices with Track Attack are in Calgary (Edworthy, Glenmore, Confederation Park Golf Course) and at the Canmore Nordic Centre, etc. (see Training Locations map) Winter training locations are dependent on conditions.
- Biathlon practices are at West Confederation Park and Confederation Park Golf Course.
- Program fee – $1075 ($700 for Track Attack + $375 for Racing Bears)
- Optional Track Attack Saturday Add-On for an additional fee of $350
- Foothills Nordic Membership (during registration)
- Confederation Trail User Fees (during registration)
- Biathlon Alberta Membership
* Program fee includes both Track Attack and Racing Bears fees.
Program cost includes the use of club-owned Eco-Aims rifles. Optional costs for race entry fees may be incurred.
Racing Bears is for athletes ages 11 to 12 who are ready to take on a greater commitment level or who are enthusiastic about adding shooting to cross country skiing. The program currently focuses on the use of Eco-Aims rifles. These are a camera-based rifle that resembles a .22 biathlon rifle, but without the use of ammunition, making it safe for use at our City locations.
We are pleased to offer Racing Bears in conjunction with the cross-country “Track Attack” program. The two programs will train together in dryland or ski training on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, as well as at Track Attack camps. Racing Bears will have an additional Wednesday evening practice focused on shooting skills. Additional shooting practices may be added prior to significant events. Racing Bears should plan to attend a minimum of 2 practices each week.
Dryland training builds ski-specific fitness and improves endurance through a variety of drills and games. Fall shooting practices focus on precision shooting skills including: aim, trigger pull, and breathing.
Winter training will focus on skate and classic technique (essential for a healthy, well-rounded skier) and competition shooting skills, including skiing-to-shooting transitions, faster shooting, and precision shooting.
Racing Bears athletes will be supported in local races (Kinder Cup races) and Provincial Cup races (Calforex Cup series). Additionally, Racing Bears are welcome to participate in local cross-country races.
VOLUNTEER REQUIREMENT/OTHER VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Foothills Nordic is able to run high quality programs for a reasonable cost due to the volunteer support from our families. Based on the Club’s volunteer bond, ALL Racing Bears parents will be required to volunteer a certain number of hours throughout the season. The number of volunteer hours required for each program is available on the Volunteer page. Numerous volunteer opportunities to help with Racing Bears will be available and sign-up lists with details on volunteer jobs will be shared with parents.
For information on the volunteer bond and other volunteer opportunities available throughout the year, see Club Volunteer Opportunities.
If you have any questions please e-mail [email protected].