At this time we are able to offer in person programming while following the guidelines of the Alberta Health Services, Nordiq Alberta, Nordiq Canada, Biathlon Alberta and Biathlon Canada. If these guidelines change to become more restrictive, we may need to switch to virtual training. If this occurs we will work to resume in person training as quickly as possible.
Registration for the remaining portion of the year will open July 22nd at 8am
Birth Year 2004+
May through March
- Monday 4:30 – 5:30pm Strength via Zoom or 6:30 – 8:00pm Bob Niven – See Team Snap
- Wednesday: 6:30 – 8:00pm (Canmore, in August; Calgary, from September to March)
- Thursday: Canmore, 6:30 – 8:00pm
- Saturday: various locations, 10:00am – 1:00pm
Calgary; Edworthy, Glenmore, Confederation golf course, Canmore Nordic Centre, etc… (see Training Locations map). Winter training locations are condition dependent.
- LC Program Fees – $1800 ($200 for May to July Virtual Training, $1600 August to March)
- Foothills Nordic membership (during registration)
- Confederation Trail User Fees (during registration)
- Canmore Nordic Centre Pass
- Bob Niven punch pass
- Optional training camps
METHOD OF COMMUNICATION
Teamsnap and personalized training plans posted on Trainingpeaks.
Parent volunteers are required for trips and events throughout the year. Volunteer lists will be circulated as events are organized. Volunteer positions available may include chaperone, planning, cooking, waxing, etc.
Learn to Compete (LC) is for athletes seeking improvement and refinement in XC skiing. Athletes can expect personalized training programs with 350 to 450+ hours a year depending on their development. Training sessions and workout modes are specifically catered to meet different athlete needs depending on their development. Developing skills such as ski technique, aerobic/anaerobic abilities, injury prevention, goal setting, teamwork and personal interaction skills is top priority.
Dryland training includes: roller skiing (classic and skate), running, ski striding, hiking and strength training.
Race support will be provided for Alberta Cups, NORAMS, Western/Eastern Championships and Nationals.
- Summer Volume Camp #1 Cancelled
- Summer Volume Camp #2 August 20-27 Canmore, AB
- November 13-15, 2020 Lake Louise Camp
Optional training camp costs are not included in program fees and are on a cost-recovery basis. Camp dates are tentative and may deviate by a few days.
- 2 pair each of skate and classic skis*
- Skate and classic poles and boots*
- Skate and classic roller skis
- Glide and grip wax for all conditions**
- Water belt, running shoes, ski striding poles (elbow height)
- Heart rate monitor
VOLUNTEER REQUIREMENT/OTHER VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Foothills Nordic is able to run high quality programs for a reasonable cost due to the volunteer support from our families. Based on the Club’s volunteer bond, ALL Cross Country Learn to Compete parents will be required to volunteer 24 hours throughout the season. Numerous volunteer opportunities to help with XC-LC will be available and sign-up lists with details on volunteer jobs will be shared with parents.
For information on the volunteer bond and other volunteer opportunities available throughout the year, see Club Volunteer Opportunities.
If you have any questions please e-mail the Club Coach.