Virtual Training with limited in person training May 1 to July 31. In person training is being added as per Alberta Health Services Guidelines.
Registration for the remaining portion of the year will open July 22nd at 8am
14+, 2002 to 2004 YOB
May through March
- Monday: strength training (indoor) 4:30 – 6:00pm or 6:30 – 8:00pm
- Wednesday: Edworthy, Nosehill, Confederation, 6:30 – 8:00pm OR Canmore, 4:30 – 6:00pm
- Thursday: Canmore, 6:30 – 8:00pm
- Saturday: various locations, 10:00am – 2:00pm
*Practice attendance is not mandatory; participation in other sports/activities is encouraged.
Calgary; Edworthy, Glenmore, Confederation golf course, Canmore Nordic Centre, etc… (see Training Locations map). Winter training locations are condition dependent.
- LC Program Fees – TBA
- Foothills Nordic membership (during registration)
- Confederation Trail User Fees (during registration)
- Canmore Nordic Centre Pass
- Bob Niven punch pass
- Optional training camps
METHOD OF COMMUNICATION
Teamsnap and personalized training plans posted on Trainingpeaks.
Parent volunteers are required for trips and events throughout the year. Volunteer lists will be circulated as events are organized. Volunteer positions available may include chaperone, planning, cooking, waxing, etc.
Learn to Compete (LC) is for athletes seeking improvement and refinement in XC skiing. Athletes can expect personalized training programs with 350 to 450+ hours a year depending on their development. Training sessions and workout modes are specifically catered to meet different athlete needs depending on their development. Developing skills such as ski technique, aerobic/anaerobic abilities, injury prevention, goal setting, teamwork and personal interaction skills is top priority.
Dryland training includes: roller skiing (classic and skate), running, ski striding, hiking and strength training.
Race support will be provided for Alberta Cups, NORAMS, Western/Eastern Championships and Nationals.
Optional Camps and Rest Weeks
- Summer Volume Camp #1 Cancelled
- Summer Volume Camp #2 tentatively August 20-27 Canmore, AB
- November 13-15, 2020 Lake Louise Camp
Optional training camp costs are not included in program fees and are on a cost-recovery basis. Camp dates are tentative and may deviate by a few days.
- 2 pair each of skate and classic skis*
- Skate and classic poles and boots*
- Skate and classic roller skis
- Glide and grip wax for all conditions**
- Water belt, running shoes, ski striding poles (elbow height)
- Heart rate monitor
*Coaches will assist in sizing and selection of equipment at early season ski sales
**Foothills Nordic will run a wax clinic and provide a list of useful waxes, Race waxing (glide and grip) is included in the program cost for officially supported races.
VOLUNTEER REQUIREMENT/OTHER VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
Foothills Nordic is able to run high quality programs for a reasonable cost due to the volunteer support from our families. Based on the Club’s volunteer bond, ALL Cross Country Learn to Compete parents will be required to volunteer 24 hours throughout the season. Numerous volunteer opportunities to help with XC-LC will be available and sign-up lists with details on volunteer jobs will be shared with parents.
For information on the volunteer bond and other volunteer opportunities available throughout the year, see Club Volunteer Opportunities.
If you have any questions please e-mail the Club Coach.