Enjoy cross country skiing? Don’t want to leave Calgary? No problem. Foothills Nordic Ski Club is a member of the Calgary Nordic Alliance working to provide volunteer groomed cross-country ski trails at the following locations in Calgary.
Trails maintained by Foothills Nordic Ski Club
- Confederation Park Golf Course
- Canmore Park
- Lakeview Golf Course (no skiing due to construction until winter of 2017/18)
Trails maintained by Calgary Ski Club
- Shaganappi Point Golf Course (Trail Map / Grooming Report)
Trails maintained by the City of Calgary
- Maple Ridge Golf Course (More Information)
- South Glenmore Park (More Information)
- Bowness Park (More Information)
- For more information about skiing in Calgary visit the Calgary Nordic Alliance.
- For XC trail conditions outside of Calgary a good starting point is Skier Bob’s website.
- Learn more about the relationship between Foothills Nordic and the Calgary Nordic Alliance.
There is no fee to ski at any City of Calgary locations. If you enjoy using trails maintained by Foothills Nordic, please consider donating to the Foothills Nordic Ski Club grooming fund. Foothills Nordic provides its own snowmobile and grooming equipment that Club volunteers use to make those beautiful ski trails. Your donations will help pay for gas and equipment maintenance.
Grooming is done as soon as possible after a snow fall, subject to the availability of budget and the availability of the grooming volunteers. All fuel, maintenance and equipment expenses are covered by the Club, a non-profit society.
Guidelines for skiing at City of Calgary locations
Trails are open to the public all day, every day, free of charge.
Using the trails
- Please stay on groomed, marked or mapped trails.
- Do not ski on golf course greens, tee boxes or other fenced-off or sensitive areas.
- Please do not walk, jog, snowshoe or cycle on the ski trails.
- Please observe the City of Calgary “No Dogs” by-law (23M89), in effect year round.
- Please do not skate ski on the classic tracks.
- There are no public warming or changing facilities available.
- Outhouses are provided at Confederation Park Golf Course and at Canmore Park. No other sanitation facilities are available.
Parking at Confederaton
- The Confederation Park Golf Course parking lot is typically open to the public Monday through Thursday, 4:00 PM to 9:00 PM during the ski season.
- Parking lot hours will be variable during periods of extreme cold, Christmas, Easter and Spring Break vacation weeks.
- Alternate parking: if this parking lot is full or closed, additional public parking is available along 19th Street and at Canmore Park (2836 Canmore Road NW, just west of 19th Street).
- When parking please respect the neighbours and do not block any driveways.
- Water bodies are present. For your safety, Keep off the ice!
- There are no trail lights. Consider bringing a headlamp if skiing at night.
Ski at your own risk. In the event of an emergency call 911 for police, fire or ambulance. If you have any comments or concerns, please contact us: [email protected].
View the map below to find Cross Country Skiing Training Locations throughout Alberta. If you prefer, you can view this map in Google Maps.